These wings are mind numbingly good… literally.
To make the seasoning:
- Combine sichuan peppercorns, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, star anise, cardamom pods, whole cloves, salt, and cayenne pepper in a pan then toast for 5 minutes on medium heat while stirring regularly.
- Make mushroom powder by roughly chopping dashi and dried mushrooms then grinding in a mortar and pestle or better yet a coffee grinder just for spices.
- Mix with sugar and mushroom powder then grind.
The wings are simple:
- In batches of about 10, fry for 8 minutes in vegetable oil at 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 T of the hot cooking oil you’re using to fry with and 1 T of seasoning. Add wings and toss until coated thoroughly.
- 4 lbs chicken wings
- 2 T whole sichuan peppercorns
- 2 T cumin seeds
- 3 T fennel seeds
- 3 star anise
- 2 black cardamom pods
- 1 t whole clove
- 2 T sugar
- 1 T kosher salt
- 2 T cayenne pepper
- 1 1” square dashi kombu
- 1 oz stemmed, dried shiitake mushrooms